“Search me O God and know my heart, try me and know my thoughts and see if there be any wicked way in me”.
Some manifestations of the self-life:
- A secret spirit of pride because of your training, appearance, natural gifts or abilities
- Love of human praise, like to be noticed, draw attention to self in conversation
- Anger and impatience, a touchy, sensitive spirit, disposition to resent and retaliate
- Stubborn, unteachable spirit, unyielding, critical spirit
- Jealous. A disposition to speak of faults and failings rather than gifts and virtues of others
- Dishonest, deceitful disposition, covering up your faults and leaving a better impression of yourself than is really true,
- Unbelief, lack of confidence, trust and faith in God
- Selfishness,, love of ease, love of money
This is not a very attractive list and most of us would like to believe it has nothing to do with us but that would not be true. These qualities are so easy to spot in others but we can be totally blind to them in ourselves.
We are not without hope . The Holy Spirit can open our eyes to see our true selves and will give us the desire and power to change.
“Create in me a clean heart, o God, and renew a right spirit within me”.